July 6, 2009

Dorie's Perfectly Patriotic Party Cake


So it's a few days late, but I did it! Dorie's Perfect Party Cake, all dressed up for the 4th of July. I was intimidated by this recipe when I first bought the Baking book, but after spending some time with TWD and learning lots of new techniques, I thought I could make this work. I followed the recipe exactly (with the exception of the coconut topping) knowing that if I was successful with my first attempt, I would play around with future editions of the Perfect Party Cake. And perfect it was! The cake was chosen by Carol from Mix Mix, Stir Stir. She's got a great blog and I love looking at her creative kitchen inventions!

My cake didn't rise exactly as promised, so instead of trying to level 4 miniscule layers, I just left the two original intact and went from there. Other bakers had trouble with their cake rising, too, so I was expecting it to happen. However, the buttercream (Swiss Meringue Buttercream, to be exact) scared me. I had tried to make SMBC before and it ended up as a gross, buttery, lumpy mess. I now know that I didn't beat it enough, and from now on, I need to use the stand-mixer instead of my hand mixer. This time, it came together beautifully - all white, fluffy and smooth. The SMBC is light and silky, with just a hint of tartness from the lemon juice. Some TWD'er thought it was too buttery, but I didn't think so. The only time I noticed the butter was the day after, when the cake had been sitting out all night. It really is best served the day it's made. All light and lemony, with raspberry filling and slightly tart buttercream. So good!

I will definitely make this cake again for special occasions. It's not as complicated as I first thought, but it does take some time to make it really nice. And pretty soon, my cake decorating skills will be up to the challenge! Tonight it my first night of my Wilton Cake Decorating Class!! I'm so excited, and so is Alex because he knows that July will be full of cake. Lucky guy.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your cake looks great. Perfect layers!

Amanda said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It came out beautiful!! I love this recipe, can't wait to make it again :)

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beth ... It was a beautiful cake that truly made the 4th of July seem like a special holiday! The cake was moist and the icing was delicious. The decoration of raspberries and blueberries was elegant ... like something from a French bakery shoppe.
Magnifique!
... Randy, your loving MOL

Matthew said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nice work on the cake. I've not made frostings especially the Swiss Buttercreams and they do seem like quite a bit of work. I currently have the Dorie book out from the library and made her Chocolate Chunker cookies to glowing reviews. I'm looking forward to eventually making a cake, but worry about being about to cut the two rounds in half correctly/evenly.

Anne said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your cake looks perfect! Great job tackling the butter cream (KitchenAid's make everything better, don't you think?)