August 14, 2009

Chickity China, The Chinese Chicken

You have a drumstick and your brain starts tickin'

Yes, I know all the lyrics to One Week by Barenaked Ladies. I memorized them when the Stunt CD came out and I was thrilled to have my ice cream flavor of choice validated by my favorite band - after all, if the totally awesome men of BNL thought vanilla is the finest of the flavors, then all was right in my teenaged world. But I digress...

This post is about Chinese Chicken. After I made the TWD Brownie Buttons with orange zest, I had a sad little naked orange looking at me. I couldn't bear to put it back in the bowl because I knew it would just get hard after a few days. So, I decided to make Orange Chicken. But, not the regular full-fat-fried-MSG-loaded-with-goopy-electric-sauce version. I went with a lighter healthier WW version.



It was good, but not outstanding. I was hoping for a sharper orange flavor, but I think I was limited because most of my zest was already in the brownies. I'll try this recipe again, but with a full orange's worth. Overall, it's a good one to try if you want Chinese food flavor without the heavy MSG'ed feeling.

Name this picture...

Ingredients:
2 tsp dark sesame oil
2 tsp orange zest, strips
1lb uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
15 oz Sunfresh Mandarin Oranges In Light Syrup, or similar item
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used vegetable)
1 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
1 TBS orange zest, finely grated, or to taste
2 tsp cornstarch

Instructions:
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add orange zest strips and cook, stirring, until fragrant and slightly cooked, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. When the zest is finished, increase heat to medium-high; add the chicken to the skillet and cook until golden, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side.

Drain the oranges and reserve 1/4 cup of liquid. Add the oranges with reserved liquid to skillet and simmer for 2 minutes.

Whisk together broth, soy sauce, finely grated zest and cornstarch in a small bowl; add mixture to pan and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes more.

Yields 1 piece of chicken and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving. (5 points)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Too bad the WOW flavor wasn't there for you, but I'm sure you can change it up to from good tasting to great tasting.

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Guess for the picture is something from homestarrunner.com. am i right?!?!

rcarmywife said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi, My name is Rachelle Childree. I just started the Operation Baking
GALS. And I seen that you have been a baker for someone before and I
was wondering if you would do it for this round for my husband. I am
so excited to do this now all i need some bakers. I hope you help us. email me back at childree1013@gmail.com

Matthew said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Since you were mentioning Vanilla Ice Cream it got me thinking and I had this in my email..

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10084&Extcode=L9HN2BA00