March 1, 2010

Fried Cheerios


We all have those strange childhood foods that make other people raise an eyebrow. Don't deny it...I know you do.

Fried cheerios is my ULTIMATE childhood memory food. I don't know where my mom came up with this recipe, but I imagine she threw it together in a fit of "OhdeargodMUSTputsomethingintheirmouthestomakethemshutup" craziness induced by my sister and me. Just so you know, I was always the innocent one. Always. Shut up, Ada.

I know that nothing looks very different about those O's up there, but you don't know the taste. It's warm, crispy, salty and intensely cheerio-ey. I was having a really bad day the other week for a variety of reasons and the only thing that I wanted was a bowl of fried cheerios. So, I did my version of them, minus the huge pats of butter. It wasn't as good (clearly) but still good enough to make me smile, as I snuggled into the blankets on the couch and worked my way out of a good funk.

Thanks, Mom. :-)

Ingredients:
2 cups Cheerios
1 TBS Butter, butter substitute or Pam spray
salt to taste

Instructions:
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high and melt the butter. Pour in the cheerios and turn carefully to coat them all. Continue to stir frequently and cook until they are toasted brown. Pour in a bowl and toss with salt. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've never heard of this!

Amanda said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wooooow.... I'm so curious about this. And I'm all about comfort food. So even if I'm co-opting your comfort food... I really want to try this.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are not alone! I had a babysitter make this for me when I was a child. I make it for my kids as a special snack now and get loads of funny looks from friends and in-laws, but they can't deny the goodness when they've tasted it. :)

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Back in the 80s general mills used to run ads for "hot buttered Os".

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My mom used to make these for me with honey nut cheerios. To die for!!