March 1, 2010

Spicy Black Beans and Spinach with Dumplings

I would just like to state, again, that I hate using a cell phone camera. New camera to be purchased
POST HASTE.


Alex and I love Chef Rick Bayless. He just seems like such a mensch...who makes delicious Mexican food. Menschican? Anyways, when I saw this recipe posted on another blog and learned that it was a Rick Bayless original, well...I was sold.

We love spicy foods, especially with the addition of chipotle peppers for that smoky touch. The only mistake I made (and okay, it was a pretty big one) was that I purchased corn meal instead of masa for the dumplings. I don't know why I did it, when they were both clearly labeled, but that's what happens sometimes.

So my dumplings? Not so good. Spicy black beans and spinach? Amazing!

Spicy Black Beans and Spinach with Dumplings
adapted from Branny Boils Over, from Rick Bayless's Mexico One Plate at a Time

2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
2 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 canned chili pepper in adobo, seeds removed
3-4 cups roughly chopped, destemmed spinach

Dumplings:
1 cup masa
1/2 cup + 2T hot water
1/8 tsp baking powder

Instructions:
Sautee the onion in a nonstick pan until soft, then add minced garlic and cook 3-4 minutes. Puree half of the diced tomatoes with the chipolte pepper in a blender. Along with the black beans, add mixture to the garlic and onions. Add the additional can of tomatoes and cook over low heat 10-15 minutes. Just before serving, stir in spinach to wilt.

While beans simmer, combine masa with hot water and baking powder. The dough should be only slightly crumbly and come together easily. Adjust masa or water as needed to reach that consistency. Roll masa into marble sized dumplings and place a dimple in one side with your thumb. Bring a salted pot of water to a boil and cook masa dumplings in water – placing them in a few at a time and removing them once they float. Keep warm in a bowl covered with plastic wrap until ready to serve.

Just before serving, add dumplings to beans and stir carefully to avoid breaking the dumplings

1 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry for your dumpling mistake -- although it is good feedback because I had a poster ask me on my blog if cornmeal would be a decent substitute. Obviously not!