February 23, 2010

It's Good to Be the King


How did I not know about the King Arthur Flour website before? How has something this magnificent escaped my knowledge? Well, my friend Stephanie introduced me to the catalogue a few weeks ago, and the rest is history. I anxiously awaited my delivery, which was of course delayed by Snowpocalypse 2010. Finally, I had my shipment and could experiment to my hearts content. Now, I'm delayed by this bum wrist, but I managed to do the KAF's Cherry Almond Scone box mix. And let me tell you, it's delicious.

I will confess...I'm not really one for boxed mixes anymore (except for brownies! And even that is changing.) But it was just too tempting to see all the glorious looking mixes on the KAF site and not try at least one of them!

I threw in another one of my purchases, mini-cinnamon chips, curious to see what happened to them when they baked. It's like magic! They melt away into the dough, and leave behind a little pocket of spicy cinnamon goodness. It's different than chocolate chips, which hold their shape even as they melt, and so much fun. I can't wait to put them in everything.

Overall, very, very good scones. Super easy to throw together (even one-handed!) and they made the house smell amazing. I could see myself keeping a box or two on-hand for last minute house guests! However, I have to admit that I didn't get the same satisfaction over these. I think I've become addicted to that deep-down visceral pride of "Hellsyeah, I baked these myself from scratch! Oh, those right there? Yeah, I did that."

Oy, does that make me a baking snob? I hope not!

3 comments:

Nichicakes said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those KA box mixes are so tempting!

csr said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad you liked our products. The cinnamon chips are popular in my family as well. Happy Baking!
Molly @ KAF

Matthew said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love KAF. I just wished they'd get down to NC and do some stuff through Southern Seasons. Speaking of boxed mixes. Apparently Thomas Keller has his Bouchon Bakery cookie mix in prepackaged form in some groceries and it is suppose to be a hit but may be pricey.