October 19, 2010

TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Pie


Yeah, you can't really go wrong with a Caramel Pumpkin Pie. I mean, those words alone conjure up images of crisp fall weather, deliciously spicy fall flavors, and most importantly, Alex's favorite holiday...Thanksgiving.

This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe was selected by Janelle of Motensen Family Memoirs...and Janelle, I'd like to give you a big hug right now. This recipe is delicious! I was a little confused as to how the caramel would come into play (layered? covered? drizzled?) but the actual reality of it was much better than my imagination! The caramel is cooked until it's a deep amber color, and then whisked into the pumpkin filling. Together, they create a lovely deep flavor that is different from your usual pie, but hard to describe. Spicier, darker, richer, more...I don't know exactly...fall-ier.

I had a few technical difficulties with the caramel, but the flavor was spot on. I think this one will make a re-appearance at the Thanksgiving Day table! That is, if I can reach the stove by that point. Thanks for the great recipe choice, Janelle. Although it wasn't as exciting as last Tuesday, it was just as scrumptious!

7 comments:

Peggy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your pie looks fabulous. Love the texture. Mine just did not cook right. I'll go back to my tried and true recipe for Thanksgiving.

Jacque said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I agree, it's hard to describe how this is different than regular pumpking pie, but it is. Yours looks super rich and decadent, nice work!

Tia said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

"fall-ier". nice word :)
your slices looks perfect.

Cindy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

48 hours later I just ate a piece for lunch. Still delicious.
Have a great day.

Valerie Gamine said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I was curious about the caramel too (I never actually read through the recipe until I make it.) :-)

Your crust looks perfect, as does the pie's texture! I wish I had a slice right now...

The Mortensens said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I could give you a hug right back! I am so glad you liked this pie. It looks and sounds like it turned out really well for you. This pie was a pretty tricky one for me and many others. I had to make mine twice. (I couldn't have my own pick be a failure!)

Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Cakelaw said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beth, your pie looks fabulous! I love the fact that the filling is generous (mine was a little on the thin side, maybe because my pie dish was bigger than it was supposed to be). The caramel can be a tricky sucker to make, but your pie turned out just right.