November 14, 2011

A Good Gourd


I love pumpkin. Sweet or savory, it's my favorite fall treat and I'm always looking for new ways to use it in recipes. I try to stock up on the huge cans of pure pumpkin every time I'm in the grocery store, as it seems to run out quickly!

Last night I had a mad craving for Dorie's All-in-One Holiday Bundt Cake (amazing! make it...now!) but that left me with a whole lot of leftover pumpkin. Normally, I'll freeze it and use it later, but I wanted more more more pumpkin. I turned to my trusty Google and concocted this pasta sauce based on a few recipes I saw.

Many of the recipes had the pumpkin mixed with the usual spices you see for sweet baking - cinnamon, ginger, cloves, etc. I didn't want a sweet pasta dish, so I grabbed a pinch of this and a bit of that, tasting it along the way until I was satisfied. While it wasn't 100% perfect, I think I reached a pretty good sauce! The goat cheese gives it a wonderful savory tang, and the pinch of cayenne gives it *just* enough heat.

In the recipe below, I didn't list the amount of spices because I think it will work better if you just do everything "to taste" and make this your own.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1lb penne pasta
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 - 1.5 cups broth
2/3 cup milk
1-2 TBS butter
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Onion powder, to taste
Cayenne powder, to taste
3-5 oz goat cheese, to taste

Instructions:
Prepare pasta according to package instructions, and set aside.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine pumpkin and enough broth and milk to make it smooth. Add in the goat cheese, stirring to melt, and then start adding in the spices. Go easy on cayenne, as a little goes a long way!

Once you're satisfied with the sauce, pour over pasta and serve immediately.

0 comments: