November 11, 2011

Stephanie's Cookies


So these cookies are a mouthful - both in name and deliciousness. And if you know me, you know I abhor white chocolate. It makes me angry. IT'S NOT REAL CHOCOLATE! ARG! BETH SMASH!

But...I do like small teeny tiny pieces of it *in* cookies. That's my one exception. Like these awesome cookies - tart, sweet, salty, chewy...amazing.

However, those cookies? Up there, in that oh-so-professional picture? These aren't *THE* recipe that I was craving. These are a poor imitation of my friend Stephanie's awesome cookies. I couldn't get in touch with her, so I decided to improvise and I used my favorite Quaker Oatmeal cookies recipe, and just threw in the craisins and white chocolate. But...as soon as I took my first bite, I was a sad panda. They were NOT the same.

I contacted the expert and she steered me in the right direction. I wasn't that far off! Just a few adjustments for spice, butter amount, and proportions...and I'll get it right next time.

O.C.W.C Cookies
adapted from Like Strawberry Wine

Ingredients:
½ pound (2 sticks) softened butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I try to mix light and dark if I have both on hand)
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ - ½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
3 cups uncooked Quaker Quick Oats (old-fashioned will work if you don't have quick)
Dried cranberries - a couple handfuls
White chocolate chips - a couple handfuls

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
 
In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Slowly add the flour mixture and stir until well incorporated.  Stir in the oats, cranberries and white chocolate chips. 3 cups of oats will look like a lot, but trust me, it should all be added.
 
As for the cranberries and chips - I usually just eyeball it and add as much as I think looks good, it probably comes out to just over 1 cup of each.
Drop the cookies in rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for a minute on the sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool.
 
These cookies are pretty delicate, especially when warm, so use a spatula with a nice sharp edge that will slide under them easily. Makes about 4-5 dozen. Store in an air-tight container to keep them chewy.

0 comments: